Sunday, August 5, 2012

Welcome to Elsewhere

About a month ago, my family picked up and moved from 'small town' Illinois to 'bigger than a small town, but not quite a metropolis' Indiana.

This is the first time in my entire life that I have not lived in the State of Illinois.  I'm kind of confused, and attempting to adjust.  For example, here in Indiana they have a 2 term limit on the Governors.  In Illinois, we didn't have term limits, but the Governor was usually under a Federal Investigation or already indicted mid-way through the second term...so it was sort of like a term limit.

They really REALLY like the Colts here.  I think they are obsessed.

I have been granted a reprieve from Cardinals mania though...so that's nice.  (Sorry to all my Cards Fan Friends...I was born and raised a Cub fan)  So far, no one has yelled at me while wearing my Cubs visor.  So people here appear to be more tolerant.

There are numerous grocery stores.  I have many many places to choose to shop now.  It's so strange.  I'm not limited to my twice a month Waldi Run anymore. (Aldi then Walmart). 

There are stop lights.  Lots of stop lights.  And one-way streets.  Very urban. 

People here seem to speak English.  There are no strange terms that I'm unaware of, unlike when I first moved to small town Illinois.  (When my husband was invited Mushroom Hunting by the neighbor, I assumed it was code for going to a strip club...who knew that people would actually go out in the woods looking for mushrooms.  How strange).  But I really haven't met too many people yet, so it could be too soon to tell.

We are still looking for a church.  We have tried a couple, but haven't found the right fit.  There appears to be some confusion on the definition of the word "contemporary".   The church we were planning on today started at 9am.  Which we discovered is too early.  Or at least it's too early when you are up at 5am because of severe thunder and lightning, and you crawl back in bed at 7:30 just to lay down for a few minutes and wake up at 9:20.

Haven't made a single Indiana facebook friend yet.  This could actually be a good thing.  It's just less people that I have to worry about offending.

I do not like living in the Eastern Time Zone.  For 42 years, my body has been struggling to deal with Central Standard (or Daylight) Time.  I'm too old to wait until 11 pm to watch the news.  And Brian Williams should be telling me the events of the day at 5:30.  Not 6:30.  It's just wrong.  Thank goodness The Today Show is on at 7.  Now I can text spoiler alerts to all my friends in Illinois on what Matt and Al dress up as for Halloween. 

That's all for now...more useless ramblings to come, I'm sure.

Welcome to Elsewhere...or my version of it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. First, I REALLY missed your blog!
    I can relate to so many of these things.
    I live in small town Northern Michigan (800 people) and they go mushroom hunting up here, too. Wacky!
    I grew up in the central time zone (St. Louis) and the Eastern time zone is difficult to adjust to. I still think that Jeopardy should be on at 3:30pm and not 7:00pm. At least Indiana got on the Daylight Savings Time train. =)
    I hope you grow to love your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are blogging again, I need some good laughs! Enjoy your new home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Please like me on facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spinning-Elsewhere/136070706468814